The Firework Safety Code

Fireworks are one of the greatest and most exciting forms of entertainment, but like most things, you must be aware and cautious of potential hazards. Though being injured by fireworks is less common in adults, it’s children you must take extra caution with by putting measures in place to enable them to have fun while being safe.

Follow our easy checklist on how to maintain a safe environment with fireworks.

Buying the fireworks:

  • Only buy fireworks from a legitimate retailer
  • Inform your neighbours and be aware of their concerns e.g. pets, livestock, etc
  • Ensure that the fireworks you are buying are Category 2 and 3 also known as consumer fireworks in order to comply with British Standards (BS 7114).
  • Read the instructions during daylight hours
  • One person – clearly identified – should be responsible for the fireworks

Things you’ll need:

  • Torch for checking product instructions
  • Bucket of water
  • Gloves and eye protection
  • Bucket of soft earth to stick fireworks in
  • Appropriate support for wheels and fountains, and proper launchers for rockets

The day of the display:

  • Try to avoid setting off noisy fireworks during the late hours of the evening and never after 11 pm.
  • Don’t drink alcohol if you are responsible for setting off the fireworks
  • Always light fireworks at arm’s length
  • Never stand over a firework while lighting it
  • Stand well back and keep spectators at least 25 metres away from the display
  • Never go back to a lit firework
  • Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
  • Ensure children are supervised at all times
  • Store fireworks in a metal box and keep it closed between use
  • Keep pets indoors or in a different location if possible, tip; put them in a room with a tv or radio playing to drown out the noise from fireworks

After the display:

  • Leave all used fireworks for at least 15 minutes after firing to cool down
  • Use gloves or tongs to collect spent fireworks

When using sparklers:

  • Remember sparklers are unsuitable for children under the age of five
  • Light one at a time
  • Wear gloves at all times when lit
  • Put the used sparklers hot end down into a bucket of sand or water immediately after use